Today I created a preparation guide for people joining me for a Professional Development Planning session. I am offering 1 hour mentoring sessions to help people accelerate their development with a plan that will keep them future-ready. We will use transformative approaches fit for today’s networked, digital era.
Note: I am currently running a competition to win a 1 hour Professional Development mentoring session. Two winners will be drawn at 8.30am AEDT on 4 January. See here for details of sessions and the competition.
Here are the prompter questions I’ve included in this guide to help people to identify their development goal. Feel free to use and share these – with acknowledgment of their source
- What goal or project do you have in the coming 12 months that will really stretch you? What specifically will it demand of you that will be a stretch? What knowledge or skills will you need to acquire or improve?
- What is changing in your industry? What opportunities does this create? What knowledge or skills do you need to acquire or improve to be successful?
- Where do you see yourself in 2-5 years? Which of the following (if any) would you like to change:
- Employment status (e.g. employee, contractor, freelancer, business owner)
What knowledge or skills will you need to acquire or improve to make these changes?
- Can you access a current capability/skills framework for your profession or industry? What insights does this give you regarding knowledge and skills you could develop? If you are a Learning and Development professional I recommend the Learning and Performance Institute’s L&D Capability Map. You can view the framework and do a free self-assessment here. (Note – the assessment will take you 45-60 minutes if you read the skill descriptions properly.)