What’s Hot in L&D in 2021
Since 2014 Donald H Taylor has run an annual one question survey to tap into the sentiment of L&D professionals around the globe. In late 2020 over 3,100 people from 95 countries answered Don’s question “What will be hot in L&D in 2021.” Don joins me to explore what the results say about the demands of the pandemic on L&D, and where we are placing our attention.
In addition to discussing the fascinating response to this survey and sharing ideas about what it all means for L&D, we discuss how a topic gets onto the list of options for respondents to choose from. I give Don a couple of ideas for next year’s survey based on what the Learning Uncut data tells me about the stories that capture the interest of Learning Uncut listeners.
You can download the Global Sentiment Survey report using this link. I’ve also created a Learning Uncut Global Sentiment Survey 2021 listening list to make it easier for you to explore real case studies relevant to each of the 15 topics on the survey.
– How the Global Sentiment Survey (GSS) has been taking the pulse of L&D since 2014. The value of the survey, subject to a number of caveats.
– A profile of who responds to the GSS. The data cuts Don uses for analysis.
– How Don chooses the topics on the GSS list for responds to select from. What it means when a topic is removed from the list, and my suggestions for new topics based on Learning Uncut episode downloads.
– Why Don does not define either the survey question or the list of response options.
– Why Don likens the GSS to a Rorschach test for people’s presumptions about L&D
– Why ‘Reskilling and Upskilling,’ a new topic on the list, is ‘explosively hot.’
– The rebound of interest in social and collaborative learning. Is L&D finally in a position to realise it’s aspirations for social learning?
– People rally to the familiar in a time of pressure – mobile delivery, coaching and mentoring and performance support.
– The aspirational is ignored. Are we too busy for it right now? Or is it being widely used in the background?
– The sub-group that is paying attention to demonstrating value and consulting more deeply with the business.
– Don’s views on what makes for a good Learning Uncut story … as well as a conference session.
Listen to the full episode and access transcript and additional resources on the podcast website or your favourite podcast platform.
Learning Uncut Emergent Series Spotify Playlist
Have you listened to the Emergent series yet? Alongside co-hosts Shannon Tipton and Laura Overton we interviewed 32 business and L&D leaders from across the globe to explore the impact of disruption and how L&D can emerge stronger – more relevant and effective. You can now listen to the whole series easily on the Spotify playlist at this link.
Starts on 31 March 2021
Imagine working through your business challenges as an L&D leader drawing on the collective wisdom of peers and industry experts Laura Overton, Shannon Tipton and Michelle Ockers – plus the practical insight and expertise of our Learning Uncut Emergent podcast guests.
If you are an L&D leader in organisations large and small who are in a position to make or influence change in your organisation, then this is for you.
– Be a better L&D leader
– Be an L&D leader who creates business value
– Be an L&D leader with a strong reputation who attracts great talent to your team
6 masterclass sessions and a showcase with hands-on practice applying 4 lenses identified through the Emergent podcast series – data, community, experimentation and technology. Support through a community to the end of 2021 to take action and make change at this critical point in time.
For more information go to emergentmasterclass.com.
Join the Conversation online
You can join in the conversation about all Learning Uncut episodes on LinkedIn and Twitter using the hashtag #LearningUncut.
Follow Michelle Ockers on LinkedIn to have posts about the podcast and other contemporary organisational learning topics appear in your feed. Have a question for a guest? Post it in the comments below the episode post and tag them.